In the wee hours of Monday night, what’s been described as a “melee” broke out in the AEW locker room.
This was the result of an explosive post-All Out media scrum featuring newly crowned All Elite Wrestling Champion CM Punk and company president/CEO Tony Khan. While Khan didn’t comment on the situation, CM Punk took the opportunity to address his longstanding issues with Colt Cabana, in particular reports this year that Cabana was almost let go from AEW as a result of Punk’s political sway (something Tony Khan denied prior to this weekends PPV).
On top of addressing Cabana, Punk spoke about former champion “Hangman” Adam Page who made a veiled reference to the Punk/Cabana backstage situation earlier this year prior to losing the belt to Punk at Double or Nothing.
“What did I ever do in this world to deserve an empty-headed f*cking dumb f*ck like Hangman Adam Page to go out on national television and f*cking go into business for himself?”Transcription from TJR Wrestling
This alongside Punk believing it was company executives The Young Bucks that fed information about Cabana’s “demotion” to Ring of Honor to the media, seems to have further fractured a relationship that was already contentious between the parties.
In the midst of the backstage brawl, Punk’s long-time friend and trainer Ace Steel reportedly threw a chair at Nick Jackson of the Young Bucks, knocking him out. Speculation is that he could face legal ramifications, and that should Steel be fired, Punk may walk with him.
On the other side of things, the immediate reporting following Punk’s initial comments to the media was that The Elite had threatened to walk while listening.
Below is a complete timeline of events prior to and including this weekend’s madness, beginning with The Young Bucks’ attempt to sign CM Punk in 2019.
- The Young Bucks tried to hire CM Punk in 2019, he said they acted unprofessionally, they seem irked by that
- Punk joins AEW despite Colt Cabana being on the roster, a man he has an awful past with
- Reports that Cabana was going to be let go (rumours cause of Punk) but people lobbied for him to move to ROH (a demotion)
- Hangman, friends with Cabana, made a veiled reference about him in a promo to Punk the week before their DoN title match
- Punk, upon returning from injury, immediately calls out Hangman for a fight live on Dynamite, believing that the promo line was Page going into business for himself
- At the post-All Out presser, the first guy to ask a question was cut off by Punk, because the guy was the one that reported the Cabana stuff and has a relationship with Cabana
- Punk then proceeded to explain his side of the recent Cabana stuff, but also called Hangman an empty-headed f*ck and said that The Bucks have no idea what they’re doing. Also that anyone who has a problem with him can come talk to him
- Punks comments reportedly led to The Elite threatening to leave the company
- After the media, The Bucks and Kenny Omega speak to Punk in the locker room
- The Bucks are reportedly heated, Punk punches Matt Jackson several times
- Punks friend/trainer Ace Steel throws a chair at Nick Jackson, knocking him out, before scrapping with Omega where Ace reportedly bit Kenny and pulled his hair (although this note is disputed)
- Several people had to help break things up
- Ace Steel could be facing legal ramifications, and Dave Meltzer is speculating that if Steel gets fired, Punk might walk
Leave a Reply